The flavor combination is out of this world! Let the big favors of this cake sit over night, dust with powdered sugar and sliced Almonds for a simple, rustic cake!
Orange Almond Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 8x8 cake
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 large navel oranges, (choose oranges with unblemished skins as the whole fruit is used in this recipe)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs; room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups of ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (use a gluten-free brand if making this cake gluten-free)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- sliced toasted almonds for garnish
- Prepare oranges:
- Place the two whole oranges in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, ensuring that the oranges remain covered with water. Drain and cool. Chop the oranges into quarters, discard any seeds, then place the chunks into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350* Grease bottom of 8x8 pan, cut piece of parchment paper to pan size, place in baking pan, grease paper, set aside.
- In bowl of standup mixer using addle attachment, mix eggs with the sugar until thick and well incorporated.
- On low add he orange puree, ground almonds and baking powder and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared 8x8 pan, bake for one hour, leave the cake to firm up in the pan for 20 minutes then flip over onto cooling rack, remove the baking paper and turn over to finish cooling.
- *After allowing to sit overnight, dust with powdered sugar and sliced almond garnish.
- Servings : 6-8 servings
- Recipe Type : Cakes & Cupcakes
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..