Tender potatoes smothered in a creamy, cheesy sauce and topped with more cheese! An excellent side dish!
Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin
Published on December 17, 2020 | In Holidays | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 9"x9" baking pan
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices (place in bowl of water until ready to use to prevent browning)
- 2 tablespoons of butter (also set aside some to grease casserole dish)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Gruyère, divided,nshredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
- *2 tablespoons of chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375* and butter a large 9"x 9" baking dish, set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add flour and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk and heavy cream while constantly stirring. Bring to a light simmer and the sauce coats back of spoon..
- Add thyme, dry mustard, nutmeg and reduce heat to low. Let simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While sauce is simmering, drain potato slices and dry gently on paper towels.
- Stir in fontina and half Gruyère, stir until melted.
- Layer a third of potatoes, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish. Pour a third of cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cream to make two more layers.
- Cover pan tightly with foil, bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes uncover, sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining 1/2 cup Gruyère, continue baking until potatoes are tender and top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- *If using garnish, sprinkle over top.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking.Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.