Recipe courtesy of Hammons Black Walnuts
Cider Baked with Black Walnuts & Pumpkin-Caramel Sauce
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 4 apples
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup caramel sauce, prepared*
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin puree, canned
- 1 cup Hammons Black Walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried whole figs (stem removed), chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, whole
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, ground
- 4 gala apples, medium to large size
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pumpkin Caramel Sauce:
- Place the caramel and pumpkin puree in a bowl, whisk to evenly combine then gently warm in the microwave. Reserve warm, set aside.
- Prepare the black walnut mixture:
- Combine the black walnuts, figs, raisins, and pumpkin pie spice in a mixing bowl and stir to evenly combine. Reserve 1/2 of the mixture for stuffing the apples and 1/2 of the mixture for garnishing each baked apple on the finished serving plate.
- Prepare the apples:
- Core each apple, removing the cores and a little extra from down through the center. Place all 4 cored apples, side by side, inside a standard pie plate.
- Spoon 1/2 of the reserved black walnut mixture into each apple, pressing the mixture with your finger to compactly fill each apple to the very top – the mixture can mound out the top of the apple.
- Pour 1/4 cup apple cider over and around the apples. Cover the pie pan and apples with aluminum foil, tightly sealing around the edges.
- Bake the apples for 20-25 minutes. Remove apples/pan from the oven.
- Assemble dessert:
- Place each baked apple on a small plate. Spoon equal amounts of the reserved warm pumpkin caramel sauce over and around each baked apple.
- Spoon an equal amount of the other 1/2 of the reserved black walnut mixture, around each baked apple, forming a ring around each apple.
- Serve immediately.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..