Recipe courtesy of National Festival of Breads
Cheddar Jalapeño Pretzels
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 3 3/4 - 4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) fast-rising yeast
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water (120° - 130°F)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 - 6 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, optional
- In a mixer bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and yeast. Stir in water until thoroughly combined. Add honey, jalapeños, salt, and cheese. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour until a soft dough forms.
- Knead dough by hand or with dough hook 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in oiled bowl turning to coat. Cover with a damp towel; let rise until double, about 1 hour. Punch down dough; divide into 12 equal portions; cover with damp towel.
- In a shallow glass bowl measure baking soda. Boil 2 cups water. Pour boiling water over baking soda; stir until soda is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Grease or line with parchment paper two 13 x 18-inch baking sheets.
- Roll dough portions into 2 to 2 1/2-foot lengths about 1/4 to 1/2-inch in diameter (about the size of a pencil). Twist into pretzels by making a circle, bringing ends together, twisting twice and pressing ends onto bottom curve of circle.
- Dip pretzels into baking soda water; place 6 pretzels per baking sheet. Let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven 8 to 9 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack. If desired, lightly brush pretzel with melted butter.
- Variation: Omit step 3 (soda and water mixture); shape the dough in pretzels, let rise 15 to 20 minutes and bake.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..