Recipe courtesy of Pastry Pizazz by Marla Prusa, Home Baking Association Educator Award 2020.
Apple Pie II (Makes one 9″ double crust Apple pie)
Published on October 18, 2021 | In Desserts, Pastries and Tarts | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- 1 pie
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- One prepared double-crust 9-inch pie pastry recipe
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz/100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/28g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 6 cups (1.5 lb) thinly sliced peeled, tart apples (6 medium)
- 2 Tablespoons (1 oz/28g) stick butter or margarine, if desired
- 1 teaspoon milk, cream or half and half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated, raw or coarse sugar
- Make pastry, divide in half, form into discs about 1-inch thick, wrap, and chill. Peel and slice apples.
- Heat oven to 425˚ F. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in apples.
- Roll out the bottom crust between two sheets of lightly floured parchment or waxed paper and transfer the crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon the apple filling into the pastry-lined pie pan. Cut the 2 Tablespoons butter into small pieces; sprinkle over apples. Roll out the top pastry, cutting about 8 slits in the top center of the pastry. Transfer pastry on top of the apple filling; seal and flute the pastry edges.
- Brush top crust with 1 teaspoon milk; sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar. Cover edges of pie with a 2-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking. Bake for 40-50 minutes (until the crust is golden brown and filling bubbles). Cool on a wire rack for at least two hours.
- Servings : 8-10
- Course : Dessert
- Recipe Type : Desserts, Holiday, Pastries & Tarts
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.