Summer Berry Buckle
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 9" round cake pan or 9x9 square baking dish
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, fresh or ground
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4-5 cups fresh mixed berries
- Optional: Powdered sugar for dusting
- *Substitute 1/4 cup of white whole wheat flour for 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Heat oven to 375* degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan or 9x9 square baking dish.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or stand-up mixer, add butter, both granulated and brown sugars, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each one until fully combined.
- Add lemon zest and extract, continue beating until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, salt, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Slowly add to egg mixture, stir to combine.
- Gently fold berries into the batter, then evenly spread batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with extra 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly brown and fruit bubbling, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..