Rustic Plum Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 9" round springform pan
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tablespoons set aside for dusting cake before baking.
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of room temperature butter cut into 8 pieces
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe but firm medium plums (halved and pitted and cut into 3/4 inch wedges )
- Optional: Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325* Prepare a 9"springform pan for your cake by lightly coating pan with butter then dusting the pan with flour (tapping off the excess).*
- In stand-up mixer Combine the dry ingredients, lightly mix until combined.
- Add cut up butter slowly mixing until a grainy like consistency (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add egg and yolk, blend.
- Add the vanilla. Beat this mixture at medium-high speed until it is pale and fluffy, scraping down sides until fully incorporated, do not over mix.
- Spread the batter evenly distributed across the bottom of your prepared springform pan using a spatula.
- Arrange sliced plums cut side face up over top of prepared batter.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar evenly over top.
- Bake 1 hour until lightly brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack in pan for about 30 minutes.
- Gently remove outer ring on springform, slice and serve.
- * You can substitute a spray baking oil for butter in this step, continue with flour.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..