Make Your Own Sweethearts for Your Sweetheart
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Salt, as needed
- Flavoring or extracts
- Food coloring
- Food coloring markers
- Pour the water into a microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow it to sit for five minutes.
- Microwave the bowl with gelatin for 15 seconds at a time until it completely dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into a separate bowl and mix in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time until it forms a dough. If the dough is a bit too sweet for your taste, add a pinch of salt.
- Add flavoring or extract if you desire, either to the entire recipe or to smaller batches for a variety of tastes.
- Split up the dough. Add two drops of food coloring to each section of the dough and knead it.
- Dust a surface with confectioners’ sugar, then roll the dough into a thickness of 3/8 inch.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts and place them on top of a baking tray lined with wax paper or parchment.
- Allow the hearts to dry for one to two days before using food coloring markers to write messages.
- Store the hearts at room temperature in a tightly sealed container
- Make it a group activity and swap candies with each other
- Recipe Type : Candy
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..