Huge Scary Spiders are a fun dough shaping activity. Enjoy eating these scary spiders that just might crawl away.
Huge Scary Spiders
- 20 spiders
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 2 ounces of unsweetened or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40 red baking candies or “red hots”
- 20 walnut or pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly greased or parchment-line baking sheets.
- In a saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate with low heat. Let cool. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, beat margarine on low speed or by hand until smooth. Add sugar and beat until creamy. Add egg whites, vanilla and chocolate. Add flour mixture and mix well, forming a stiff dough.
- Shape dough to make eight legs per spider. For each spider: roll two pieces of dough to 8-inch lengths and ¼-inch in diameter. Cut each roll into four 2-inch pieces. Place on baking sheet and curve ends of spider legs to form a small hook. Curve four to the right and four to the left. Repeat process for each spider. Bake at 375O for 3 to 5 minutes. Cool.
- To make a spider body and head: use one tablespoon dough for body and one teaspoon dough for head. Shape a 2 inch flat oval for the body. Make the spider’s head by rolling into a ball; attach to body and slightly flattening. Put two red candies into head for eyes. Press the pecan or walnut half into the back for a design.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately insert cooled legs on each side of spider body while cookies are warm. Cool completely.
- Recipe courtesy of The Sugar Association, www.sugar.org Home Baking Association/Dough Sculpting 101 DVD
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..