The flavors of hot chocolate and marshmallows all wrapped up in a cupcake? Brilliant!
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
- 2 dozen cupcakes
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup cold strong coffee
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa*
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk **
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- *Don't use Dutch Processed cocoa
- ** Buttermilk: 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 teaspoon vinegar, allow it to sit 5-7 minutes
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 14 ounces Marshmallow topping
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: Cocoa Nibs, miniature marshmallows, chocolate sauce for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350* and line 24 cupcake tins with paper liners, lightly spray, set aside..
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, vegetable oil, and coffee. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the cooled coffee mixture to dry ingredients, stir until combined.
- Add in the eggs, whisk to combine, mix in the buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared cupcake time to 3/4 full.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until center springs back after touchy lightly or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, transfer to wire cooling racks and allow cupcakes to completely cool before frosting.
- In arge bowl beat softened butter for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Slowly add powdered sugar in four parts, creaming together until creamy and fluffy.
- Add marshmallow cream and vanilla, mix until combined, add heavy cream.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with Cocoa nibs, marshmallows or just a drizzle of chocolate!
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..