Chock-full of chicken, peas, carrots, and down home goodness, this family favorite makes a large 9-inch golden brown pie that’s as much tasty as it is budget friendly and easy to make.
Easy as Pie Chicken Pot Pie
Published on May 23, 2019 | In Entrees | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 9" pie
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Pie filling:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 1/2 and 1/2 or whole milk, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup shredded or cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1 to 2 teaspoon celery seed
- *You can substitute a prepared double pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Filling: In a saucepan, melt butter, sauté garlic just until soft, add flour and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add liquid to flour/butter mixture, continue stirring until thickened.
- Gently fold in Chicken and vegetables and thyme until just mixed, set aside.
- Crust: Sift flour and celery seed in a bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter cut in cream cheese, butter and water until crumbly. Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/2 of the dough into 12" circle, gently lay in bottom of pie pan.
- Transfer filling into prepare bottom crust.
- Roll remaining dough; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.