Brown Rice Apple Crisp
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- cooking spray
- 2 cans (20 oz, each) pie-sliced apples, undrained *
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (divided)
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare rice according to package directions. Spray shallow 3 quart baking dish (13 x 9) with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine cooked rice, apples, lemon juice, ½ cup brown sugar and cinnamon in prepared dish.
- Combine oatmeal and remaining ½ cup brown sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in raisins and nuts. Sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake until heated, about 20 minutes. Serve warm, perhaps with a dollop of yogurt or ice cream.
- *Tip: You can use fresh apples instead of canned if you prefer. Cut up four large apples (baking apples such as Courtlands are good) and microwave on high for one minute, then add to recipe as directed above.
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..