You can’t go wrong with a delicious dessert of caramel sauce, thick banana slices, all baked up into a moist and flavorful cake!
Banana Upside-Down Cake with Caramel Sauce
Published on June 15, 2020 | In Cakes, Cupcakes | By Home Baking Association |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 cake
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- Bottom layer:
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 3 bananas sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 11/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 11/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sour cream*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup overripe bananas-mashed
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *substitute greek yogurt if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 8 x 8 x 2" square cake pan or 9 x 2" round cake pan, set aside. * Measure pan if unsure of depth, it must be at minimum 2 inches to avoid overflow.
- Spread brown sugar evenly over entire bottom of pan, distribute butter pieces over brown sugar.
- Place the pan in the oven until butter is melted, about 4-7 minutes. Remove pan from oven and using a spatula blend sugar and melted butter evenly all over bottom evenly.
- Arrange the slices of Banana over the bottom completely cover the bottom of pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients for cake batter (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, set aside.
- Using a stand up mixer, use paddle attachment.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light, creamy, fully blended. On low add 1 egg at a time and vanilla, fully incorporate egg.
- Add sour cream and mash bananas, mix until fully blended.
- Continuing on low speed add whisked dry ingredients. Mix lightly until combine.
- Pour the batter over prepared bananas, evenly smooth the top and bake.
- Bake 55-60* minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out completely clean.
- *If after 40 minutes it appears to be becoming too brown, turn oven down to 325* for remainder of baking time.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan. Loosen edges with a knife, place a plate upside-down on top of the pan, then invert cake.
- Caramel Sauce:
- In a saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, heavy cream and salt and bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and let it sit for 1-2 minutes.
- After inverting cooled cake to plate, gently ladle caramel sauce over entire cake, reserve a bit for drizzling on cut slices.
- Course : Dessert
- Recipe Type : Cakes & Cupcakes
- Ingredient : Wheat Flour
Home Baking Association
The Home Baking Association (HBA) web site is a valuable resource for educators, parents, community service volunteers, scratch-bakers and anyone else interested in baking. Esteemed members of the baking community, ...Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
Comments are closed.