Pumpkin Wholegrain Bread
Makes one large loaf/20, 1.5 oz. (41g) slices
Blend in separate bowl with whisk:
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons flax meal
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup (2 oz) silken tofu**
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup lowfat milk
½ cup chopped walnuts OR raisins
2 cups whole wheat flour*
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger OR cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
- Grease the bottom and lower sides of one, 8 ½ X 4 ½ -in loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Beating on medium high,
drizzle in the oil and add the flax meal. Beat 2 minutes. Add the egg and
tofu; beat until fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin and milk; blend on low. Spoon in the dry mixture and mix on low just until blended. Stir in the nuts or dried fruit. (Analysis at right used walnuts).
- Bake in the center of the oven for 55 to 65 minutes—center tests done at (200-210 ° F).
- Cool loaf 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Wrap and freeze or slice.
*Used whole white wheat flour, Hudson Cream
**OR, additional 1 T. flaxmeal + 3 T. water
|Download Book and Bake at www.homebaking.org – The Pumpkin Runner by Marsha Diane Arnold Illustrated by Brad Sneed. Dial Books for Young Readers. 1998. ISBN 0-8037-2124-2.
Recipe provided by The Sugar Association, Inc.