A) Quick Method: 90 minutes
B) Refrigerated Method: 2 hours, 45 minutes (2 labs)
Dough may also very easily be prepared in bread machines.
Baking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Cooling Time:10-15 minutes, serve warm
Yield: One large (14-inch) or 2 medium flat breads—16, (1.8 oz) slices
|Active Dry Yeast OR Fast-rising yeast
||1 ¼ teaspoon
||1/8 oz (3.5g)
|Granulated sugar or honey
||0 to 3 teaspoons
||0 to 12 g
|Water (measure temperature)
Option A —120 degrees F.
Options B—80 degrees F
|| 8 oz (250 ml)
|Unbleached all purpose or bread flour*
||2 ¾ to 3 cups
||10-12 oz. (280-335g)
|Olive or vegetable oil
||1 oz (28g)
||1/6 oz (5g)
|*Flour may be half whole wheat flour; if using bread flour, lesser amount may be used
1 large red or yellow onion--peeled, washed, thinly sliced in rings, sautéed or carmelized
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary or basil (or 1 ½ teaspoons, dried but not ground)
Olive or vegetable oil (about 2-3 tablespoons)
Salt (may be coarse or kosher)
Options: 2 oz. ripe (black) pitted olives
1-2 cloves (1/4 teaspoon) minced garlic mixed into the olive oil
2 oz. grated hard cheese (Parmesan, Provolone)
2 roasted or grilled green or red bell pepper slices
Sun-dried tomato pieces, softened in olive oil
1A: Quick Method: In a medium mixing bowl, blend yeast, sugar, water and
2 cups (8 oz) flour. Stir in the oil and salt and enough remaining flour to form
a rough, sticky dough ball. Mix 2 minutes by hand or with mixer.
1B: Two days: Mix ¼ cup (2 oz) of the (80 degree F.) water, yeast and sugar
in the mixing bowl. Let ferment about 5 minutes, until beginning to foam. Stir in
the remaining 3/4cup (6 oz) water, 2 cups (8 oz) flour, oil and salt. Stir in
enough remaining flour to form a rough, sticky dough ball. Mix 2 minutes,
by hand or with mixer.
2. Knead by hand: Add ½ to ¾ cup more flour, a little at a time, to form a
knead the dough and form a rough dough ball; knead, using only small
amounts of flour until a soft, smooth and elastic dough is formed.
Knead with mixer: Dough may need up to ½ cup more flour if dough is
wet and very sticky. Mix on medium low speed with dough attachments for about 7 minutes. TIP: Dough should form a rough dough ball at first around the mixing attachment, then mix to form a soft, silky smooth dough ball that cleans the mixer bowl.
3. Form kneaded dough into a smooth ball, skin side up. Lightly oil the surface of the dough. 1A, Quick method: Turn the bowl over the dough and let rest for 10 minutes. Prepare/assemble the toppings you will use. Go to Step. 4.
1B, Two day method: Spray large, clean plastic food bags with pan release spray. Place rounded dough ball in the bag. Squeeze out the air, tie shut at the very top of the bag, and refrigerate. Dough may need to be punched down once after an hour. On second day, remove dough
from refrigerator, punch and bring to room temperature (about 1 hour)
4. Grease or spray 12 or 13-inch pizza pans, sheet pans or 9 X 13-inch cake pans. Pizza stones may also be placed in the oven, but do not grease.
5. Flatten the dough pieces with hands into oval(s) about ½ to 1-inch thick. Place in the pan(s), cover lightly with plastic wrap sprayed with pan spray. Let dough rest in a warm (105-110 degrees F.) place. (You may need to place a pan of boiling water in the bottom of an oven or microwave) for 15-30 minutes. NOTE: Hotter is not better!
6. Dimple the dough by pressing fingertips into it all over, about ½-inch deep.
7. (Quick method will skip or shorten Step 7—the third rising.) Cover the dough lightly again and let rise 20 to 30 minutes in a warm place. Prepare the toppings of choice while the dough rises.
8. Place racks in lower third of oven. Heat to 425 degrees F.
Drizzle the oil over the dimpled dough and sprinkle with choice of
toppings and salt.
9. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes—varies with thickness.
10. Cool briefly, then remove bread to cooling rack to avoid soggy
crusts. Serve warm wedges, with olive oil or garlic oil for dipping.
DO NOT REFRIGERATE BAKED FOCACCIA.
Enjoy warm or may be frozen in food freezer bags up to 3 months.
Unwrap and reheat in hot (400 degree F.) oven until crisp.
1 of 16 slices (2 oz) contains approximately (Made with 1c. whole wheat, 2 c. all purpose flour; Toppings: 1 onion, olive oil, fresh basil; 1 clove garlic; ½ tsp.salt
Calories, 134; Total fat, 4g; Cholesterol, 0mg; Total Carbohydrates, 22g; Dietary fiber, 1g; Protein, 3g; Sodium, 224 mg; Potassium, 42 mg